Tuesday, November 24, 2009

over there



Well, at least that's what I'm thinking this J.E.B. Stuart miniature keeps asking me.

Why a Civil War mini? Well that's what I've been painting over the last couple of weeks, and the best thing is it's been for work! The great Confederate cavalry commander (above) and half a dozen Union cavalrymen will be making an appearance in the July issue of Wargames Illustrated (#261) as part of our "American Civil War -The road to Gettysburg" theme.

The finishing touches on the re-launch issue (#260) are being finalized in England as I type, and I have to say it has been a pleasure to work with Dan Faulconbridge on this one. I have certainly learned a lot about putting together a magazine that isn't a "house mag". There's a certain freedom that is VERY refreshing. I have also learned that I need to start pushing my personal design and layout skills a bit, skills that have atrophied over the last few years of management. Anyway, this all means I'm very happy with the way my new job is going!


Oh, and I thought I'd throw in this pic. It's my take on a Dutch Windmill for Flames of War (or any other 15mm game with the potential to be set in Holland). The brief was to build a Dutch windmill from materials that are really easy to get a hold of. While I still have a few more things to add to the model above (including paint) this have been made from a cereal box, some Coke cases, a Bic pen, and a handful of bass wood strips (perhaps the toughest thing to get a hold of thus far). As well as making it into the upcoming Firestorm: Operation Market Garden campaign box coming out later in the year, we'll be doing a "how to" in Wargames Illustrated.

The building in front of the windmill is a resin cast of one of the cool Flames of War French village buildings that'll be released later this year. Jason Buyaki (of Gale Force 9, formerly my colleague at GW, and terrain guru) created all the masters for these pieces and boy are they really beautifully detailed!

No comments:

Post a Comment